Uniting to Combat NTDs launches two new tools to track progress on NTDs
The neglected tropical diseases (NTD) community has collaborated to create two new tools to show the progress made in the fight against NTDs and to accelerate further progress through collective action.
- The Impact Dashboards, presents a snapshot of key NTD performance indicators in an interactive online format.
- The Action Framework, encourages discussions on the issues behind the numbers. The Action Framework highlights opportunities across diseases to share what is working well and to encourage partners to join forces to address common challenges.
Find out more here: https://unitingtocombatntds.org/news/new-approach-to-tracking-progress-a...
Check out the Impact Dashboard here: https://unitingtocombatntds.org/impact-dashboards/pc-diseases-dashboard/
Find out more about the Action Framework 2018 report and download it from the box on the right.
What progress are we making in the fight against neglected tropical diseases (NTDs)?
- Over a billion people were reached with treatment for at least one NTD in 2017, for the third year running.
- 300 million fewer people required treatment for an NTD in 2017 compared to 2012, when the World Health Organization’s Roadmap and the London Declaration on NTDs was launched. That’s nearly half the entire population of Europe!
- New cases of sleeping sickness (human African trypanosomiasis) are at an all-time low, with 1,447 new cases reported in 2017 compared to 7,201 in 2012. That’s a reduction of 80% in new cases since 2012.
- Treatment for schistosomiasis is at an all-time high. In 2017, 71% of all school aged children at risk of schistosomiasis received the treatment they needed, compared with 54% in 2016.
- There have been no new human cases of Guinea worm disease reported in Ethiopia since December 2017, putting the country on the path towards elimination.