Schistosomiasis Talks at the ASTMH 2021 Annual Meeting
Wondering which session to go to at the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene Annual Meeting? Have no fear, we have all the schistosomiasis related talks listed here.
All sessions are in U.S. Eastern Time (EST).
Wednesday 17th November
Young Investigators Award Session A – Room A (10:00)
- 0364 – Prevalence of cervical dysplasia by visual inspection acetic acid (VIA) is increased in women with female genital schistosomiasis; a cross-sectional study in Zambia.
- 0403 – Hepatic fibrosis biomarking by plasma cytokine profiling during Human schistosomiasis.
- 1264 - Association of Female Genital Schistosomiasis with the Cervicovaginal Microbiota and Sexually Transmitted Infections in Zambian Women.
- 1284 - Host metabolic alterations from early Schistosoma haematobium infection in preschool-aged children.
Young Investigators Award Session B – Room B (10:00)
- 0056 - Identification of Novel Therapeutics Against Human Schistosomiasis.
Young Investigator Award Session C - Room C (10:00)
- 0901 - Identification of snails and Schistosoma of medical importance via convolutional neural networks
Thursday 18th November
Session 9 – Integrated Control Measures for NTDs - Meeting Room 8 (08:00 – 09:45)
- 08:40 –Effect of COVID-19 risk mitigation measures on the coverage of mass treatment campaigns against schistosomiasis and vitamin A supplementation in the regions of Kayes and Segou in Mali 2020.
- 08:50 – Evaluating the adoption of COVID-19 prevention measures during mass drug administration in Anambra State, Nigeria.
Session 11 Schistosomiasis I – Meeting Room 10 (08:00 - 09:45)
- 08:00 - Lesions of Female Genital Schistosomiasis are associated with the presence of live works as indicated by circulating anodic antigen testing.
- 08:10 – Village, household, and individual level predictors of bovine schistosomiasis infection in rural villages of Sichuan, China.
- 08:20 – The sensitivity of Schistosoma mansoni cercariae to chlorine.
- 08:30 – Development of a multiplex bead assay for detection of antibodies against Schistosoma mansoni infection.
- 08:40 Rapid parasite DNA amplification using a dipstick with LAMP assay.
- 08:50 – Validation of the isothermal Recombinase Polymerase Amplification (RPA) assay for the point-of-care molecular diagnosis of female genital schistosomiasis using cervicovaginal lavage and vaginal self-swab samples.
- 09:00 – Identification of Novel Therapeutics Against Human Schistosomiasis.
Session 36 American Committee of Molecular, Cellural and Immuno-parasitology (ACMCIP) Parasite Immunology – New Approaches – Meeting Room 9 (15:00 – 16:45)
- 15:00 – Maternal Schistosomiasis Reduces Humoral Immunity of Offspring via Dysfunctional B Cell Progenitor Maturation and Receptor Editing.
Session 37 – The Neglected Intersection between Tropical Medicine and Sexual and Reproductive Health: A path towards equity, integration, and sustainability – Meeting Room 10 (15:00 – 16:45)
- 15:10 - Introduction
- 15:35 – Female genital schistosomiasis and STH deworming.
- 16:06 – The “Unusual Suspects” – Innovative cross-sectoral partnerships for FGS integration.
Friday 19th November
Session 47 – Ending the Neglect of Female Genital Schistosomiasis Through a Holistic and Integrated Approach: Introducing the FAST package Meeting Room 1 (10:15 – 12:00)
- 10:25 - Introducing the FAST package: a novel partnership to address FGS.
- 10:40 – Women’s experiences with FGS using PhotoVoice.
- 11:00 – Using an innovative online platform to expand the reach of clinical training for health providers.
- 11:20 – Ensuring sustainability of action through national FGS committees.
Session 62 – American Committee of Molecular, Cellular and Immunoparasitology (ACMCIP) Symposium I: Bypassing Biological Barriers: Microsurgical Techniques in Parasitology – Meeting Room 3 (13:45 – 15:30)
- 13:55 - Introducing anti-parasite immune responses in the murine intestine to study acute and chronic infection.
- 14:15 – Drugs, sex, and worms: developing a deeper understanding of schistosome biology to advance new therapies.
- 14:35 – Insights into Schistosoma biology and transmission from the zebrafish.
- 14:55- Advancing spatial transcriptomics and heterologous systems for anthelmintic discovery.
Session 80 - Innovative Uses and Analysis of Neglected Tropical Disease (NTD) Data to Inform Improved Program Implementation – Meeting Room 10 (16:00 – 17:45)
- 16:06 – An investigation into non-compliance in NTD Mass Drug Administrations (MDAs) in West African countries using existing coverage survey data.
- 16:55 – The results of SCH-STH Baseline and Impact studies in Ghana: an in-depth analysis.
- 17:20 – WASH and NTDs data merge for decision making in Ethiopia.
Saturday 20th November
Session 87 – Global Health: Malaria and Neglected Tropical Diseases – Meeting Room 5 (08:00 – 09:45)
- 08:40 – Identification of snails and Schistosoma of medical importance via convolutional neural networks.
Session 99 – Schistosomiasis II – Meeting Room 3 (12:45 – 14:30)
- 12:45 – Effects of Schistosoma mansoni and Praziquantel treatment on the gastrointestinal mucosa: A cohort study in rural Tanzania.
- 12:55 – Host tissue proteomics reveal insights into the molecular basis of Schistosoma haematobium-induced bladder pathology.
- 13:05 – Host metabolic alterations form early Schistosoma haematobium infection in preschool-aged children.
- 13:15 – In utero metabolic responses to maternal S. japonicum occur in a sex-dependent manner.
- 13:25 – The role of microbial translocation in the pathogenesis of S. japonicum associated morbidity.
- 13:35 – Intranasal Administration of an Adenovirus-vector Expressing Cathepsin B Protects from schistosomiasis infection in a pre-clinical model
- 13:45 – Diminishing cross-reactivity in schistosomiasis serology by applying a single glycan target approach.
Session 107 – Schistosomiasis Morbidity Indicators for Redefining Control and Elimination as a public health problem: Findings of MORBID Pilot Study – Meeting Room 11 (12:45 – 14:30)
- 12:55 – In Memoriam
- 13:00 – Associations between morbidity and infection in historical monitoring and evaluation cohorts.
- 13:20 - MORBID Kenya: Some observations from a pilot study on abdominal ultrasound and other morbidity markers in a field investigation of schistosomiasis-related morbidity at the community level in western Kenya.
- 13:40 – MORBID Malawi: results, interpretations, and next steps.
- 14:00 – MORBID sub-study: Female Genital Schistosomiasis in Malawi – Pilot study in two schistosome haematobium endemic settings.
Session 108 - Improving Reverse Logistics of the Last Mile Supply Chain for NTD Medicines in Endemic Areas: Lessons Learned and Best Practices – Meeting Room 1 (15:00 – 16:45)
- 15:10 – Ghana’s experience in reverse logistics: Best practices related to NTD medicines and commodities management in an integrated national health system.
- 15:30 – Cote D’Ivoire experience and challenges regarding reverse logistics.
- 15:50 Kenya’s use of the District NTD Medicine inventory Tracking Tool to improve downstream reverse logistics data flow.
- 16:10 – Findings of analysis in the PZQ tablet distribution, tracking and reporting, in support of a phased process to cover existing gaps, increase medicine accountability and improve reporting processes.
Sunday 21st November
Session 139 - Fostering a Data-Driven Approach to strengthen Program Planning and Implementation for the control and elimination of Neglected Tropical Diseases - Meeting Room 10 (10:15 – 12:00)
- 10:25 – Opportunities for strengthening NTD surveillance systems: assessment of existing data systems in Africa and Mesoamerica.
- 10:45 – Progress towards to the use of data for the control and elimination of NTDs and remaining challenges in sub-Saharan Africa.
- 11:05 – Addressing challenges in quality and timeliness of NTD data: experiences from piloting a data-driven approach for schistosomiasis MDA campaign in Kenya.
Session 137 - The Future and Quality of Clinical Parasitology - Meeting Room 8 (10:15 - 12:00)
- 10:25 - What is a Clinical Parasitology service and what does it contribute? A View from the USA
- 10:45 - Clinical Parasitology Services in India: access and affordability for the masses
- 11:05 - What is a Clinical Parasitology and Mycology service in a French university hospital and what is it useful for ?
- 11:25 - The Future and Quality of Clinical Parasitology: A view from Australia