Call for Proposals | African Researcher's Small Grants Program V
- Maximum Funding per Award: USD 30,000=
- Call Closing Date: August 30, 2021, 17:00 GMT
- Announcement of Awards: November 08, 2021, 17:00 GMT
- Une version en français pour l'appel de projet de recherche est disponible en PDF.
The African Research Network for Neglected Tropical Diseases (ARNTD) with support from the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), through the Coalition for Operational Research on Neglected Tropical Diseases (COR-NTD), is seeking proposals for both operational and implementation research on ‘’Emerging Challenges facing NTD program implementation in Africa.’’ This fifth edition of the Small Grants Program (SGP V) is to support African researchers in both early and mid/late career to undertake operational or implementation research aligned with the goals established in the London Declaration on Neglected Tropical Diseases. SGP V is comprised of two small grant funding tracks:
- Small grants for junior researchers
- Small grants for mid-career and/or senior researchers.
This fifth call for proposals is targeted at outstanding researchers – especially beginning researchers – and academics based in research institutions or universities in Africa. Applicants will have to demonstrate that the proposed research or activity is aligned with country/program interests and has potential institutional/individual capacity-building impact. The small grants targeted at junior and senior researchers at the Masters or PhD level will provide grants ranging from USD 10,000 - 30,000. Applications are accepted in both English and French. Shortlisted applicants will be required submit full proposals and additional documentation in English in order to be eligible for the award.
Objectives of the call
- To increase African leadership, involvement and visibility in neglected tropical disease (NTD) operational and implementation research, including through direct engagement with national NTD programs;
- To contribute to improving the research capacity of an existing cadre of African NTD researchers and strengthening African research institutions in the process by supporting operational and implementation research on NTDs that is locally originated and African-led, either by junior researchers or experienced researchers ready to take on larger research programs;
- To improve South-South communication and collaboration among researchers, policymakers and implementers, and for community participation in research and agenda-setting;
- To provide an opportunity for young upcoming researchers not only to gain experience in research, but also in preparation of grant applications and management;
- To supplement a clearly defined aspect of ongoing research or to answer a new question linked to ongoing research being carried out by mid-career/senior researchers;
- To encourage a model of North-South collaboration which promotes engagement between researchers in the South and their control programs, and improves local leadership and ownership of initiatives and activities.
How to apply
- Access the online application form and instructions, complete all required sections and submit ahead of the deadline of 30 August.
- The application form provides a link in both English, and French to download a budget template. Complete all required sections by following the funding rules as outlined in the Review Guide and Instructions page of Budget template. Upon completion, upload a copy of your budget. Please note that an application without an accompanying budget using the prescribed template will not be reviewed.