Approaching schistosomiasis elimination: from mass treatment to targeted interventions.
COR NTD and the Global Schistosomiasis Alliance (GSA) are pleased to announce a pre-meeting session:
"Approaching schistosomiasis elimination: from mass treatment to targeted interventions."
- Date: September 18, 2020
- Time: 16:00-18:00 EAT (East African Time)
The overall aim of this session is to identify operational research needs and questions that can help guide successful schistosomiasis programs from the morbidity control stage towards elimination of schistosomiasis as public health problem and interruption of transmission.
Specifically, in the session, we will hear about and discuss existing and novel tools and strategies needed on the last mile towards interrupting transmission.
Talks (40-60 min):
- Sultani Matendechero: The “breaking transmission” strategy for neglected tropical diseases in Kenya (10 min)
- Yves-Nathan Tian Bi: Lessons learned from chemical snail control as complementary measure to MDA for interrupting seasonal schistosomiasis transmission in Côte d’Ivoire (10 min)
- Federica Giardina: Modelling schistosomiasis elimination for targeted interventions (10 min)
- Bonnie Webster: Diagnostic tools we have and need for surveillance of human and snail infections (10 min)
Parallel break-out discussions (30-40 min):
- a) Beyond MDA 1: intervention strategies for reaching interruption of schistosomiasis transmission (Chairs: Sultani Matendechero, Nathan Tian-Bi)
- b) Beyond MDA 2: modelling for targeted interventions (Chair: Federica Giardina)
- c) Beyond routine diagnostics: tools for use in elimination settings (Chair: Bonnie Webster)
Plenary (10-20 min)
Return from break-out groups into main group and report by chairs and rapporteurs of discussion results and key operational research questions identified.
Register Your Interest Here